December is here, and that means work Holiday Parties, parties with friends and family, and a whole lotta sweets. This month’s seasonal produce is hopefully going to inspire you to make something healthier for your next potluck, or party you host that is good for you and does not lack any flavor. While cooking might not be your thing per say, I am sure these recipes will be simple even to the most novice cook.
Artichokes, Arugula, Beets, Bok Choy, Broccoli, Broccoli Rabe, Burdock, Cabbage, Cardoons, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celeriac, Celery, Chard, Chicory, Collards, Cress, Endive, Fennel, Garlic, Herbs, Kale, Lambsquarters, Leeks, Lettuce, Mizuna, Mushrooms, Mustard Greens, Onions, Orach, Parsnips, Peppers-chile, Peppers-sweet, Radishes, Rutabaga, Salsify, Scallions, Spinach, Sprouts, Squash- winter, Sweet Potato, Turnips
Roasted Winter Produce
- 1 Purple Sweet Potato
- 1 Orange Sweet Potato
- 1 large Turnip
- 2 Carrots- I like to use different colored ones
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp fresh sage minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- Pre-heat oven to 425*
- Chop all produce into equal sized pieces.
- In a bowl mix together produce and seasonings making sure each piece is fully coated
- Line a baking sheet with tinfoil (easy clean up!) and put a single layer of mixture down
- Roast in oven for 25 -30 min on one side, then flip and Roast for 20 more minutes.
- Once both sides have crisped up, serve along side any main entree you have.
Simple Winter Soup
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 large garlic cloves chopped
- 1 Turnip
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Celery Stock
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 1 Acorn or Butternut Squash
- 1 can 28 oz of crushed tomatoes
- 10 oz chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp of fresh sage
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp fresh basil
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 can white beans drained
- Over med high heat, heat a dutch oven such as a Le Crueset 5 quart.
- Add 2 tbs of olive oil, once heated add onions and garlic cook until fragrant and soft.
- Add in carrot, turnip and celery, being sure to fully coat with oil. cook about 3 min.
- Mix in Squash and tomatoes along with herbs cook for 2-3 min until herbs become fragrant
- Add Stock simmer over med heat about 20-30 minutes until flavors are peaking through.
- Add Kale and beans cook 5 more minutes
- serve with toast bread.